One's a virgin, another has slept with 50 men... can you guess how many lovers these women have had? You may be surprised...

NO LOVERS - THE MEDICAL STUDENT

Waiting till she's married: Nellie Wong

Waiting till she's married: Nellie Wong

Nellie Wong, 25, is a medical student at St George's University and lives with friends in Tooting, South London. She has a boyfriend, Andrew, 24, also a medical student.

People are often shocked to hear I'm still a virgin at 25 - even more so when I tell them I've had a boyfriend for five years. But I can honestly say it isn't an issue for us.

It's not that I don't feel desire, I do, but waiting until we're married is a priority for us both.

I had a strict upbringing and wasn't allowed a boyfriend until I was 18. My parents, who are originally from China, said if a woman has sex outside marriage she is cheap, and a good man wouldn't expect her to anyway.

I've only had one other boyfriend, who I met during my A-levels. It was all innocent; we just held hands and kissed.

Thankfully he didn't try to take things further. My boyfriend, Andrew, is understanding too. His parents are more conservative than mine, so we have the same attitude to sex.

He's living in Malaysia, so we only see each other a few times a year. But we do email every day and speak on the phone. We hold hands and kiss.

Sometimes I'm tempted to do more, but since he's not tried to initiate anything more I wouldn't dare. It does make it easier that we have a long- distance relationship. We've never shared a bed.

We've spoken about marriage and both sets of parents approve of our relationship. Although I've not yet met anyone who has made fun of me being a virgin, some people don't believe me, probably because I do modelling (promotional work, to raise money for my studies) and even got to the finals of Miss University GB.

They seem to think just because you're attractive you should be having sex. Others respect my decision and then there are those who try to persuade me to have an affair or a one-night stand because they think my boyfriend sounds boring.

I am curious about sex - particularly as it's a topic I've had to study as part of my degree. During one lecture, we had to teach men how to put on condoms. I didn't feel embarrassed, I'm going to be a doctor, after all. But I hope I'll be able to ignore my curiosity until I marry - however long away that is.

ONE - THE OFFICE BOSS

Catholic up-bringing: Keren Curren

Catholic up-bringing: Keren Curren

Keren Curren, 40, is an office administrator and lives in Preston, Lancashire, with her partner of 20 years Gary Wilson, 41, a housing officer.

I lost my virginity to Gary when I was 23. I'd had a strict Catholic upbringing, so I was quite prudish - when you're raised like that it's imprinted on you for life.

Admittedly we're not married, but we've been engaged for six years and have just never got around to organising a wedding.

Before Gary, I dated one other man for seven months but we never made love because I didn't feel ready.

After we split up, I met Gary through work. He lived in Ireland, but after a year he moved to England to be with me.

We bought a house in Preston and that's when we made love for the first time.

Even though I knew he was 'the one', I did feel guilty because I'd been brought up to believe sex should saved for marriage.

Gary had only a couple of sexual partners before me, which is quite unusual for a man. We learned about sex together.

As for my Catholic background, these days I live the life that's right for me, rather than adhering to my father's beliefs - and that includes using contraception.

We don't have children and the reason is because I worry about world we'd be bringing them into. Besides, we are happy it being just the two of us.

We've been together 20 years and we still have a healthy love life. I don't regret not having slept with any other men.

The honeymoon period is long gone, but we know each other well enough to tell if the other is in the mood and we act on it.

These days I see so many young girls pushing prams when they're barely adults themselves - that is the reality of promiscuity.

Those who have sex so young or who have lots of sexual partners have more self-respect.

FIVE - THE BUSINESSWOMAN

Teenage pregnancy: Antonia Kime

Teenage pregnancy: Antonia Kime

Antonia Kime, 34, runs her own business, Queen of Cupcakes, and is married to Hugh, 50, who owns a carpentry firm. They live in Bury St Edmunds with their four children.

I was rather prim when I was growing up - I didn't have a sexual relationship until I was 17.

That was a classic holiday romance - he was a Turkish student and I met him when I was on holiday in Turkey with my sister. He fished my shoe out of the sea, and we got chatting.

We spent the entire week together and slept together after a few days.

To me, sex meant commitment and I convinced myself I was madly in love. But like all holiday romances, it fizzled out.

My parents were traditional in their views. I went to a girls' boarding school and there was no peer pressure.

But when I was 18 I started dating a boy who was the same age as me, and fell pregnant by accident.

I was at midwifery college, he was a student too, and we were both terrified. My parents are very middle class and they were shocked and upset rather than angry. It was a really difficult time for all of us.

There was no question of me having an abortion. I took time off from college to have my son, but split with his father before the birth because he couldn't handle the commitment.

I lived with my parents at first but it was still really tough financially. Eventually, I moved out and went back to college. It meant I never had a chance to have a 'wild' time in my teens, instead I concentrated on work and tried to be a good mum.

In two years I slept with two boys - who were fellow students. Both relationships lasted a few months and I ensured I waited a few weeks before making love.

I met Hugh when I was 20. I fancied him like mad. It took him more than a month to persuade me to sleep with him - I wanted to make sure he was the right one for me, as I could not be carefree with a young child.

We went on to have three children. I'm rather glad I haven't had lots of sexual partners, because I think sex is so special and shouldn't be cheapened.

25 - THE MARKETING EXEC

Numerous short relationships: Jodie Taylor

Numerous short relationships: Jodie Taylor

Jodie Taylor, 26, works in marketing and lives in East London. She is in a relationship with Jonny, 27, who works in the music industry.

I'm quite mature for my age and don't like going out, getting drunk and partying any more - I feel like I did all that in my teens and early 20s.

Now, I prefer quiet nights in with my boyfriend, Jonny. We've actually known each other for eight years, but only started going out together eight months ago.

Because we'd known each other for so long we did sleep together after our first date at a comedy club, but I wouldn't normally have done that.

I was 16 when I lost my virginity to a friend. It was neither a good nor a bad experience - it was a typical first time.

I was glad it happened with a friend and I was relieved to get it over and done with.

I started dating another friend soon after that, but we broke up after a year when he went away to university.

After that I had a handful of one-night stands. I wasn't looking for a relationship at the time and I always made sure I was careful.

During my early 20s, I had numerous short relationships, which all lasted between three and four months, and various one-night stands.

Now I do wish I hadn't jumped into bed with some of them. There were some I really liked and hoped to get to know better, but after sex they just disappeared. I did feel a bit hurt by that.

I'm grateful that I'm in a loving relationship. Sex is more special when you have strong feelings for each other.

There's a time and a place for casual flings and they can be a lot of fun, but I have done all that.

Jonny and I haven't really talked about how many sexual partners we've had because we both take the same view that it's the here and now that's important, not the past.

I don't think he will be concerned when he reads my tally. He doesn't judge me and I don't judge him.

50 - THE MEDIA WHIZZ

One night stands: Shelley Tomes

One night stands: Shelley Tomes

Shelly Tomes, 31, is a partner in a media company and is married to Olly, 22, who is a musician. They live in North London.

Some people might balk at the fact I've slept with 50 men, but I'm not ashamed or regretful.

They were all consensual, safe experiences which felt like a good idea at the time.

I was 15 when I lost my virginity to a boy I'd known since junior school. Most of my friends also lost their virginity between 15 and 17.

I'm very fortunate that I grew up in a loving family and could talk openly about sex with my parents - Mum was a housewife and Dad an inspector in the manufacturing industry.

We had basic sex-education at school and I understood the importance of practising safe sex.

Between the ages of 17 and 19, I had about half-a-dozen sexual partners. They tended to be friends and definitely weren't drunken conquests.

Then I was in a serious relationship for five years with a man from back home in the North-East and we moved to London together for work.

While my friends went to university and had lots of sexual experiences, I went straight into work and didn't sleep with anyone else until the relationship broke down.

This time round, being single was different. I had a good disposable income - earning more than £35,000 - which meant I could afford a great social life in London. It was easy to meet men and have short flings or one-night stands.

It's hard to have a long-term relationship when you're focused on your career. You're working such long hours that you don't have the capacity for a serious relationship. But you still have basic human desires and a need for sex.

I learned to compartmentalise my emotions. If you're going to have one-night stands, you need to be able to walk away without emotional attachment. I don't think they're for everyone.

As soon as I met Olly, I knew he was the one. We married after a four-month romance last November.

He's nine years younger than me, but I had no doubt when he asked me to marry him - perhaps that's one benefit of having dated a lot of men.

We have broached the subject of partners, but haven't discussed numbers. I'd be surprised, given the age gap, if he's slept with more people than I have.

Stylist: ANNIE SWAIN using PHASE EIGHT, ALDO, JOHN LEWIS, MANGO, M&S, MODA IN PELLE, TED BAKER, HOBBS

dailymail.co.uk